Friday 18 February 2011

Crowborough House Names

House names in Crowborough
House names in Crowborough

Walking around Crowborough, the streets on the edge of the Ashdown Forest, I saw that the houses don't have numbers. Instead, they all have names and name signs.

In a situation like this, it is clearly a good idea that your house name stands out and can't be confused with anyone else's. But even so, along with the creative, the twee and the silly ones, there are plenty of houses with traditional country names relating to trees, houses and even lodges.

How they make them distinctive is in the shape and form of the house signs. No two are identical.

I was going to make a list, but instead I started to photograph them as I walked along. If my companion had not been somewhat embarrassed by this I would have taken lots more .. these are in the order I took them as I walked along, and they are only a tiny sample of the riches available.

No comments:

Post a Comment