Sunday 25 December 2011

Notocactus

Notocactus in flower on the balcony of my house in Hayes.  11 July 2011.
Notocactus in flower on the back balcony of my house in Hayes.  11 July 2011.
Happy Christmas! And to go with it, a colourful photo of one of the cacti that sit outside the back of my house in the summer and come indoors to a back windowsill in the winter. (The back of my house faces south.) Slugs love these flowers, though the rest of the plant is too tough for them, and I have to move it out of their reach if I want to benefit from this display.

It's not in flower now; this pic was in July. I think this is a species of Notocactus, though it's obviously not the same as the other cactus I posted in September.

For the first time in the 20-odd years I have had it, this plant put out another flower out of season, in November. Here's a closeup of the centre of that flower.

Out-of-season Notocactus flower on my back windowsill.  18 November 2011.
Out-of-season Notocactus flower on my back windowsill.  18 November 2011.

1 comment:

  1. That is the loveliest cactus picture that I can recall seeing, and the color of the wood, the terracotta, and the pland are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete