Friday 23 December 2011

Two Brown Fungi

Brown Rollrim, Paxillus involutus (perhaps). Hayes Common, 13 December 2011.
Brown Rollrim, Paxillus involutus (perhaps).  Hayes Common, 13 December 2011.
I walked round my local woods, on Hayes Common, before the frosts came, to see what fungi I could find. I managed to find and photograph several, but identifying them is a very different matter. Here are two that I found growing up through the oak and beech leaf litter, both very well disguised despite the fact that they were as big across as the palm of my hand.

I am only just able to tell that they are not the same species, but I am learning the useful features to notice. These were both given likely identities by the people on iSpot. This pair gives a clear illustration of one point to note; whether the rim of the cap curls downwards or up.

The way the ribs connect to the stem is also important; sometimes they are attached to the stem for some way down its length, as they are on both of these, more on top photo than the lower one.  The colour of the ribs and the spores is also useful, though you won't know about the spores unless you collect a specimen and let some of the spores drop out onto some paper.

Tawny Funnel, Lepista flaccida (perhaps). Hayes Common, 13 December 2011.
Tawny Funnel, Lepista flaccida (perhaps). Hayes Common, 13 December 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment