Tuesday 2 September 2014

More July Hayes Moths


Diamondback Moth, Plutella xylostella.  Hayes, 5 July 2014
Diamondback Moth, Plutella xylostella.  Hayes, 5 July 2014
Four more from my garden trap in July, showing the variety of creatures that arrive.  This one is tiny.  Not the smallest moth I have had in my trap, but it is only about 7mm long.  The jagged back markings that give it its name can be white or, as here, brown.

Privet Hawkmoth, Sphinx ligustri.  Hayes, 8 July 2014.
Privet Hawkmoth, Sphinx ligustri.  Hayes, 8 July 2014.
In contrast, this is the biggest moth I have had in my trap, with a forewing length of about 50 mm.  It is accurately named.  The caterpillars eat privet.  If anyone wonders why there is a big gap in my trap, it is to let beasts like this get in.

Pretty Chalk Carpet, Melantha porcellata.  Hayes, 30 July 2014.
Pretty Chalk Carpet, Melantha porcellata.  Hayes, 30 July 2014.
This was probably the least expected moth of the month.  The caterpillars of this species eat the plant called Traveller's Joy in Spring and Old Man's Beard in Autumn: Clematis vitalba, a plant that prefers alkaline soils.  There is none close to me.  I do occasionally see other chalk moths, too, and I suppose they fly or are blown here.

Sallow Kitten, Furcula furcula.   Hayes, 22 July 2014.
Sallow Kitten, Furcula furcula.   Hayes, 22 July 2014.
 This was probably the prettiest of the month.  It is said to be common, but this is the first I've seen. The Sallow Kitten's caterpillars eat willows of all sorts, of which there are plenty around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment