Wednesday 28 January 2015

Last Summer's Bugs


Forest Bug, Pentatoma rufipes.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 24 July 2014.
More insects from my moth trap last summer.  These are true bugs, creatures in the order Hempitera with sucking mouthparts.  There are lots of these plant suckers around, including aphids, though I don't have any shots of those.

Probably the most common in my garden were the Hawthorn Shield Bugs, so common that I didn;t photograph any!  But they are very like this Forest Bug except for coloration.  This group are sometimes known as stink bugs because they can leave a nasty smell on your skin, though they are always kind to me.

Dryophilocoris flavoquadrimaculatus.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
Dryophilocoris flavoquadrimaculatus.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
There are lots of rather similar Mirid bugs around.  The complicated second part of this one's name just means "four yellow marks." 

Mirid bug, Phytocoris longipennis.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 15 July 2014.
Mirid bug, Phytocoris longipennis.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 15 July 2014.
Another Mirid bug, this one with more subtle colouring, but very similar in overall shape and patterning.

Leafhopper.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 14 July 2014.
Still a bug, but from a different family, this leafhopper is one of many similar species.

No comments:

Post a Comment