Monday 5 October 2015

Deer in Mist

Roe deer, Capreolus capreolus,  in a field between the High Elms estate and North End Lane.  3 October 2015.
Roe deer, Capreolus capreolus,  in a field between the High Elms estate and North End Lane.  3 October 2015.
I rarely take landscape views these days, but I do like mist.  It makes the world more mysterious and personal by hiding everything that's in the distance, and things tend to loom.  Big objects loom a lot.  This is a typical countryside scene, with massive pylons dominating farmland.  A small group of Roe Deer are running for the safety of some brush under the nearest pylon.

I could not get close to those deer.  Like nearly all wild creatures, they are wary of people.  At least my 100mm macro lens gives enough magnification that you can see them clearly in this shot:

Roe deer, Capreolus capreolus,  in a field between the High Elms estate and North End Lane.  3 October 2015.
Roe deer, Capreolus capreolus,  in a field between the High Elms estate and North End Lane.  3 October 2015.
I was following a badger track across a field of stubble towards a copse, and the deer emerged from behind the copse.  (I could be sure about it being a badger track because I found the sett in the copse, and on the far side was a latrine area which badgers use as a territory marker.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment