Tuesday 11 April 2017

Sleeping Cuckooflowers

Cuckooflower, Cardamine pratensis.  Withyham, 5 April 2017.
Cuckooflower, Cardamine pratensis.  Withyham, 5 April 2017.
I haven't been to many countryside sites recently as most of my driving has been up and down to a new house I am getting ready for occupation.  But I do still photograph things I pass by, and I could not resist taking my camera along to capture some of the banks of Cuckooflower that are flourishing on roadsides near my new place. 

The Cuckooflower is an early Spring beauty.  It's not rare in the London Borough of Bromley, where I live now, but you see it in much smaller numbers.

It's sometimes called Lady's Smock or Milkmaids.  And I discovered this year that it rests its flowers at night.  The photo above was taken just after noon.

Cuckooflower, Cardamine pratensis.  Withyham, 5 April 2017.
Cuckooflower, Cardamine pratensis.  Withyham, 5 April 2017.
This one was taken at 8 am in the same place.  Flowers all drooping, not yet awake.  Dew still on the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment