Monday 26 December 2016

Winter Oysterlings

Panellus stipticus, Bitter Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 28 October 2015.
Panellus stipticus, Bitter Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 28 October 2015.
Here are a couple of oysterling fungi that grow on dead wood.  This first one, the Bitter Oysterling, grows in the normal fungus season and well into the winter.  It's easily recognised by the crackle finish of the upper surface.

These ears are only one or two inches across.  The stem of an oysterling, like that of a more normal oyster mushroom, is at one side.

Panellus stipticus, Bitter Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 28 October 2015.
Panellus stipticus, Bitter Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 28 October 2015.
Here's the underside, showing the gills spread out like a fan.  I have seen a few of these in the woods this December, but I only had my iPhone with me and my photos are not as good as these I took last year.

Another oysterling is typically found in the winter.

Panellus serotinus, Olive Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 11 December 2016.
Panellus serotinus, Olive Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 11 December 2016.
I spotted this Olive Oysterling over a week into December, on a dead Silver Birch stump.  It's softer than the Bitter Oysterling, with a slimy cap, and only lasts a couple of weeks in its prime.  It's not scarce, but I have not seen it very often, probably because it doesn't last. 

Panellus serotinus, Olive Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 11 December 2016.
Panellus serotinus, Olive Oysterling.  Hayes Common, 11 December 2016.
The gills are more delicate than those of the Bitter Oysterling, and that mottled band where the stem meets the gills is typical of this species.

There are other Panellus species, but I have yet to encounter them.

No comments:

Post a Comment